Constructors and facilities operators benefit greatly from pre-commissioning, where investigations and planning are carried out in advance of the commissioning phase. Pipeline, process module, subsea structure, flexible or umbilical pre-commissioning activities can provide assurance that component parts are leak-free and are in a suitable state of cleanliness and readiness for commissioning and long term system operation.
The following activities are considered during pre-commissioning:
- Wet preservation flooding / filling
- Remote or subsea flooding
- High velocity flushing
- Hydrotesting / pressure testing
- Intelligent pigging
- Controlled bolting
- Tie-in leak testing and leak detection
- Air and vacuum drying
- Nitrogen purging and packing
- Nitrogen / helium leak testing.
The following presentation describes pre-commissioning activities for pipelines: Pre-Commissioning Overview: Pipelines